Stories are the perfect way to teach social skills and introduce new concepts. This post focuses on 16-Week Social Skills Program that features silly monsters who explore and illustrate essential social skills topics.
Each story has 5 lessons included, plus a printable version of the book for your classroom library! No need to hunt down the book to match the lessons – it’s all included in this engaging K-2 curriculum.
Monster Social Skills Stories
My students love everything about monsters, whether they are scary or just silly! This set of read-aloud stories feature monsters who teach about social skills and behavioural expectations. The stories cover topics such as proper hand washing to stop germs, following rules and focusing on tasks, as well as self-regulation topics such as how to calm down and make wise choices.
The monsters also introduce topics such as respecting diversity in others and recognizing emotions as a building block of developing empathy. At the end of each book is a collection of yes/no questions to reinforce concepts and review the main ideas of the story.
Lesson Plans & Writing Templates
Each story includes a one-week lesson plan (5 lessons) that help students explore the social skills topic. Over the course of 80 lessons, students will enjoy anchor charts, journal templates, vocabulary words, partner plays, art projects, comics, mini-books, thinking question cards, game boards, posters, puppets, and more!
Social Skills Topics
There is a whole program of social skills topics that are highly relevant for the primary classroom.
Click HERE to see the whole program at 30% off.
You can also look at each unit individually, or in smaller bundles below:
1. How Monsters Show Emotions (identifying expressions)
2. How Monsters Use Technology (Using technology responsibly)
3. How Monsters Stop Germs From Spreading (hand washing, etc.)
4. How Monsters Calm Down (calm down strategies)
5. How Monsters Respect Diversity (celebrating differences)
6. How Monsters Give Compliments (Friendship Circle Compliments)
7. How Monsters Spread Kindness (Examples and benefits of kind acts)
8. How Monsters Focus On Tasks (Concentration strategies)
9. How Monsters Say Sorry (When and how to apologize when you make a mistake)
10. How Monsters Have Manners (Importance of being polite)
11. How Monsters Solve Problems (8 actionable problem solving strategies)
12. How Monsters Have Personal Space (Respecting personal space)
13. How Monsters Persevere (The power of YET)
14. How Monsters Follow Rules (Following directions and class rules)
15. How Monsters Use Math Strategies (How math strategies help with frustration)
16. How Monsters Learn From Mistakes (Learning from mistakes)
More Ways To Use Social Stories
If you are looking for more simple social story books with direct teaching, you may like these 6-page printable stories. The resource below has 32 social stories, but also includes partner plays, teacher scripts, mini-books, printing pages, crafts, and more. Click the picture below for more information if this is something that might help in your classroom.
Click HERE to see more Social Stories for managing in the classroom!
Click the links for video previews:
The Kindness Classroom: Full Year SEL Curriculum
Social Skills Songs and Poems (Posters and Literacy Projects)
Social Skills Paperless Journal Prompts
Daily Meetings : 200 Social Skills Prompts
LOOKING FOR MORE FREE DOWNLOADS?
You may also be interested the FREE downloads in the blogs posts listed below!
I hope you find some helpful resources!
Free Downloads: First Grade Writing
Free Downloads: Simple Art Templates
Free Directed Drawing Videos: Students Draw Along
Free Letter Sounds Song Posters
Free Educational FUN Math Videos To Play In Class
Free Poetry Collection (20 pages)
Free Online Stories Collection
Free Directed Drawing and Writing Templates
Free STEM Partner Play and Resources
Free Supported Story Writing Templates (Super Popular Downloads!)
FREE Simple Photo Directed Art Lessons